Back combs (3)

The society has an extensive collection of vintage hair combs. Many donated by Jenny Copeland. Some are on display at the Fisher-Richardson House.

Brooch and Pin (1)

Broch and pin made of imitation
jet jewelry at the Cabot Shop on Willow Street.

Neckless, with locket S

 

Pin, violin S

 

Hat, Top, Black S

A top hat / high hat / cylinder hat / topper is a tall, flat-crowned hat for men traditionally associated with formal wear in Western dress codes, meaning white tie, morning dress or frock coat. Traditionally made of black silk or sometimes grey, the top hat emerged in Western fashion by the end of 18th century. Although it declined by the time of the counterculture of the 1960s, it remains a formal fashion accessory. A collapsible variant of a top hat, developed in the 19th century, is known as an opera hat.  More from Wikipedia

Hat, c 1800 S

This hat is labeled from 1800.

Flour Siere S

 

Mill, Spice S

 

Coffee can S

 

Iron, Flat S

Flat irons were also called sad irons or smoothing irons. Metal handles had to be gripped in a pad or thick rag. Some irons had cool wooden handles and in 1870 a detachable handle was patented in the US. This stayed cool while the metal bases were heated and the idea was widely imitated. You'd need at least two irons on the go together: one in
use, and one reheating. Irons had to be kept immaculately clean, sandpapered and polished. Beeswax prevented irons sticking to starched cloth. Constant care was needed over temperature. Experience would help decide when the iron was hot enough, but not so hot that it would scorch
the cloth. A well-known test was spitting on the hot
metal.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Some of the many artifacts on display at the Copeland and Fisher-Richardson Houses.

Artifacts

Mansfield Historical Society
53 Rumford Avenues
Mansfield, Massachusetts 02048
mansfieldhs1775@gmail.com
© 2020- 2021 Mansfield Historical Society

Designed by Lou Andrews



s_Highlighted

THE FISHER-RICHARDSON HOUSE WILL BE OPEN SUNDAYS STARTING JUNE 13TH TO SEPTEMBER 12TH  (10AM TO 2PM) CLOSED JULY 4TH